Riak startup issue

John Kavanagh john at kavanista.com
Mon Jan 6 16:14:38 EST 2014

Hi all,

I am trying to deploy Riak on fresh nodes via cookbooks that have been
fully tested and implemented in another environment and am hitting an issue
whereby Riak won't start.

https://gist.github.com/kavanista/8289711

Essentially what I am seeing is :
** System running to use fully qualified hostnames *
** Hostname localhost is illegal *

I have the node bootstrapped correctly , the hostname is set to be it's
FQDN , everything looks fine.

In my app.config I have (address obfuscated of course)

{http, [
{"192.168.x.x", 8098},
{"127.0.0.1", 8098}
]},

This works fine , I listen on 127.0.0.1 to facilitate polling stats etc.

vm.args uses the nodes FQDN also.

Is there anything obvious here that could be causing this ? I just don't
get where it's getting localhost from here.

Thanks !

John