consistency impact on performance

Satoshi Yamada bigt2323 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 00:29:00 EST 2014

Hi, i'm Satoshi, new to riak.

I would like to check how consistency changes impacts on the performance of
riak cluster. I used w=1 and w=3, and I expected at least two times more of
execution time, but there seems no significant change. I saw more
difference in Cassandra, so I wonder if it's normal in riak or there is
something wrong in my testing. Can anyone give me some advice on it?

I simply checked as shown below.

w=1
$ time curl -v -XPUT
http://mycluster.com:8098/buckets/w1/keys/data.tar.gz?w=1 -H
real    0m27.501s
user   0m0.378s
sys    0m0.674s

w=3
$ time curl -v -XPUT
http://mycluster.com:8098/buckets/w3/keys/data.tar.gz?w=3 -H
real    0m29.278s
user   0m0.398s
sys    0m0.674s

My cluster consists of 40, all active and healthy machines and running
riak-1.4.1.
The data I use is 330MB.

Thanks in advance,
Satoshi