Performance Tuning in OmniOS

Hari John Kuriakose ejhari at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 08:11:58 EST 2014

I am running LevelDB on ZFS in Solaris (OmniOS specifically) in Amazon AWS.
The iops is very very low. There is no significant progress with tuning too.

Why I chose ZFS is that since LevelDB requires the node to be stopped
before taking a backup, I needed a filesystem with snapshot ability. And
the most favourable Amazon community AMI seemed to be using OmniOS (fork of
Solaris). Everything is fine, except the performance.

I did all the AWS tuning proposed by Basho but still Basho Bench gave twice
iops on Ubuntu as compared to OmniOS, under same conditions. Also, I am
using riak-js client library, and its a 5 node Riak cluster with 8GB ram
each.

Could not yet figure out what is really causing the congestion in OmniOS.
Any pointers will be really helpful.

Thanks and regards,
Hari John Kuriakose.