Performance Tuning in OmniOS

Jason Campbell xiaclo at xiaclo.net
Tue Jan 21 16:56:59 EST 2014

First off, make sure you are comparing apples to apples.  I am assuming the "default" RAID is RAIDZ on ZFS, so make sure the LVM raid is using RAID5 for comparable performance.

Generally, I wouldn't be using RAIDZ on AWS at all.  The primary issue with RAID5/RAIDZ is that the IO speeds are not only limited to that of a single EBS volume, but that of the slowest EBS volume.  That speed can vary with which host you get assigned to, time of day, contention from other customers, and seemingly the phase of the moon.  I don't think anyone would be surprised if you ran the same test again and got completely different results.  Provisioned IOPS disks will help even out extremely slow disks, but you can still get quite a bit of variance.

I would suggest moving to mirrored disks (RAID1) in both ZFS and Ubuntu.  I'm not sure about LVM, but ZFS will use the mirror to even out reads (writes are harder) which should fix some of the high latency, even on normal EBS volumes.  I would suggest 4 disks in a RAID 10 configuration (striping 2 mirrored pairs).  Even better would be a 4-way mirror in ZFS if price isn't much of a concern.  This will limit you to the capacity of a single EBS volume, but reads will use the fastest disk of the 4 disks, instead of the slowest.  It also has a nice side effect of being extremely fault tolerant.

The other thing to keep in mind is that ZFS is extremely RAM hungry and read performance drops considerably when it is RAM starved, so I would ensure that Riak doesn't use the last 1 - 1.5 GB of RAM so ZFS can use it for caches.

So in summary:
 - Test, test and test again on different instances, this will help even out EBS issues.
 - Use mirrors, not RAID5/RAIDZ
 - Use dedicated IOPS (at least for testing purposes)
 - Ensure ZFS has some RAM to play with

Hope this helps,
Jason Campbell