Why should i choose riak over redis?

Jon Brisbin jbrisbin at gopivotal.com
Wed Jan 22 09:05:17 EST 2014

I look at it like this: if you can fit your entire database into memory and don't mind losing the entire thing when the server goes down or becomes unavailable and you like the extra functionality of Redis like hashes, counters, and messaging, then go with Redis. If you can't afford to lose the data you put into it and you need the availability of more than a single server and don't use the simple messaging of Redis, then go with Riak.

That said, the two are not direct competitors. They may have overlapping functionality in some areas but they each address fundamentally different concerns.

Thanks!

Jon Brisbin | Reactor Project Lead
http://about.me/jbrisbin | @j_brisbin