Riak Search and Yokozuna Backup Strategy

Matthew Von-Maszewski matthewv at basho.com
Mon Jan 27 14:57:13 EST 2014

On Jan 27, 2014, at 2:40 PM, Elias Levy <fearsome.lucidity at gmail.com> wrote:

> Will Riak detect a LevelDB that was not cleanly shutdown when it starts up and start repair on its own?

Google's designed leveldb to always assume it was not cleanly shutdown.  If the startup can read the most recent MANIFEST file, leveldb cleans up the rest of the mess.

However, using the backup strategy previously discussed (backup sst_? directories numerically … rsync or tar) creates a scenario where the MANIFEST file is likely incorrect in a manner that leveldb will not detect (hmm … maybe it could detect it but no one thought to add a test).  That is why we always recommend (require!) that you manually run repair after a restore.

Matthew