Riak transfer limit.

Jeppe Toustrup jeppe at falconsocial.com
Tue Jan 28 03:09:31 EST 2014

On 27 January 2014 18:00, Guido Medina <guido.medina at temetra.com> wrote:

> What's a good value for transfer limit when re-arranging adding/removing
> nodes?
> Or if there is a generic rule of thumb like physical nodes, processors,
> etc.
>
> Once transfer is completed, is it a good practice to set it back to its
> default value or should the calculated (guessed?) transfer limit stay?

I have just removed a node from our Riak cluster, and I just turned up the
transfer limit on the removing node high, and set the other machines in the
cluster to 1. That way the node going out of the cluster got rid of its
data as fast as possible, while the nodes serving clients only had 1
transfer each to make sure they weren't overloaded. It worked fine for me,
but it might depend on how much load you have on the cluster during the
data migration and how important response times are for your system.

--
*Jeppe Toustrup*
Operations Engineer

*Falcon Social*