Failed: This node is already a member of a cluster

Naveen Tamanam naveen32india at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 16:18:22 EST 2014

Hi All,

I am getting the following error  even through the node is not a member of
cluster.
The cluster is not prepared yet. First time I ran the nodes and I was
trying to join them in the cluster.

[root at node1 riak]# bin/riak-admin cluster join node3 at 172.31.6.244
Failed: This node is already a member of a cluster

But when I see the membership I am only getting the fillwing

[root at node1 riak]# bin/riak-admin  member-status
================================= Membership
==================================
Status     Ring    Pending    Node
joining     0.0%      --      'node1 at 172.31.6.248'
valid     100.0%      --      'node5 at 172.31.15.58'
Valid:1 / Leaving:0 / Exiting:0 / Joining:1 / Down:0

I have 5 nodes, and their name in vm.arg are
node1 at ip
node2 at ip
node3 at ip
node4 at ip
node5 at ip

like it  is being displayed in the member status.

I only able to join one node from after onwards I am getting
Failed: This node is already a member of a cluster.

I also tried by clearing the ring data on each node . Any thing wrong?

--
Thanks & Regards,
Naveen Tamanam