Framework to Migrate data from SQL Server and from DB2 to RIAK for Java application

sangeetha.subramanian at gtnexus.com sangeetha.subramanian at gtnexus.com
Tue Jul 1 01:22:36 EDT 2014

Thanks a lot

-- Sangeetha

From: Dmitri Zagidulin [mailto:dzagidulin at basho.com]
Sent: 30 June 2014 19:21
To: sangeetha.subramanian at gtnexus.com
Cc: riak-users
Subject: Re: Framework to Migrate data from SQL Server and from DB2 to RIAK for Java application

Sangeetha,
As Bryan mentioned, above, the first thing you want to double-check, when migrating your blob type column to Riak, is the typical (and max) blob size.
If your objects are less than 1mb, then storing in Riak should be fine. If the max object size runs larger than 1mb, you should store those blobs in Riak CS http://docs.basho.com/riakcs/latest/ (it's built on top of Riak, and serves exactly this use case).
As far as migrating a column or a table to Riak, we do not have any SQL migration tool - you would have to write the migrating code yourself.
The main thing to keep in mind, when loading massive amounts of data into Riak, is to take advantage of Riak's parallelism. Spin up multiple worker threads to issue puts, and be sure to take advantage of the Java client's connection pooling.
There is some good sample Java code for loading objects into Riak in the Riak Data Migrator repo ( https://github.com/basho-labs/riak-data-migrator ),

Take a look at https://github.com/basho-labs/riak-data-migrator/blob/master/src/main/java/com/basho/proserv/datamigrator/io/ThreadedRiakObjectWriter.java
and https://github.com/basho-labs/riak-data-migrator/blob/master/src/main/java/com/basho/riak/pbc/RiakObjectIO.java
for some example code.