[ANN] Kria 0.1.14, an async Clojure Client for Riak 2.0.0.rc1

David James davidcjames at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 15:48:39 EDT 2014

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll take a look at the Maven Central .proto files.

I started Kria before the new Java client was very far along. I'm glad it
now supports async operation. I'll try to take a look. I have had mixed
experiences in wrapping Java libraries. I found many hard to understand
because of their size and complexity.

Kria supports the Riak Protocol API and is meant to be low-level. It does
not support the "Additional features" mentioned on
http://docs.basho.com/riak/2.0.0/dev/using/libraries/. It only has three
dependencies: Java 7 (for NIO.2), Clojure 1.6, and Protocol Buffers. I
intentionally avoided Netty because I didn't need the complexity. Kria does
this in about 2,000 lines of Clojure: 1400 lines of implementation plus
about 600 lines of tests. The Java library has about 20,000 lines of code.
I spent considerable time driving out duplication, and I'd like to think it
makes the code easier to read and more reliable.

Lastly, writing Kria helped me find some strange (e.g. probably
unintentional) re-use of message codes in Riak:
https://github.com/basho/riak-java-client/issues/367