riak-cs reclaim storage

Tyler Flint tylerflint at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 10:52:21 EDT 2014

To explore riak-cs, I setup a 2 node cluster with riak and riak-cs on each node, and put the riak nodes on the same cluster. I then proceeded to use risk-cs by uploading a 3G file using the multi-part upload protocol. I was unaware, however, that I needed to finalize the multipart upload and thus had many in progress multi-part uploads. Through the duration of my troubleshooting, the storage on the filesystem grew to 224G. Once I discovered my error, I proceeded to cancel all of the previous uploads. At this point there are no uploads in progress, and only a single 3G file available in the bucket. However, it has been 48 hours since the exploration and the storage use is still 224G on both machines.

I have attempted multiple strategies in attempt to reclaim space, all without any effect.

Within riak-cs:

- I have shortened the gc leeway duration to 5 minutes and set all of the gc intervals as low as 5 minutes.
- I have manually triggered the riak-cs-gc batch multiple times. (After running batch, status shows a gc run and eventually complete)

Within riak:

- I have adjusted the bitcask settings in attempt to trigger a merge.
- I have force merged all of the bitcask partitions manually in the erlang console.

None of these strategies seem to have any effect whatsoever.

At this point I’m not even sure where to start, nor do I know if the issue is within riak-cs or riak (via bitcask). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tyler