About Protocol Buffers

Brett Hazen brett at basho.com
Mon Jun 23 15:57:09 EDT 2014

Alex -

I suspect you may be looking at some older documentation.  AFAIK all HTTP functionality is now (Riak 2.0) supported via PBC so you can pick either transport or the other for all of your communication.  In the past there was some functionality available only via HTTP.  There are now some direct queries to the Solr API which are available only via HTTP, but that’s outside of Riak’s core [1].

I’m sure those more in the know will correct me if I’ve misspoken.

Brett

[1] http://docs.basho.com/riak/2.0.0beta1/dev/advanced/search/