Help on bucket quorums

Brett Hazen brett at basho.com
Sat Jun 28 12:18:26 EDT 2014

Alex —

Have you already checked out the documentation about eventual consistency?

http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/theory/concepts/Eventual-Consistency/

Also there is a great series of blog posts which John Daily wrote about Riak’s configuration:

http://basho.com/understanding-riaks-configurable-behaviors-part-1/

Brett

On June 28, 2014 at 4:56:26 AM, Alex De la rosa (alex.rosa.box at gmail.com) wrote:

Hi there,

Can somebody help me understand a bit better the bucket quorums? I will use the Python API to write code examples:

Imagine we are building a web app like twitter, and we want fast read (although not need to be consistent) and safe writings, this R/W combination is appropriate?

bucket = client.bucket('twits')

bucket.r = 1
bucket.w = 3

# OR

bucket.set_property('r', 1)
bucket.set_property('w', 3)

Which method is better to use? or are just exactly the same?

Imagine that in this new case, we want to focus on writing fast (normally we will write more "twits" than read them)... which would be the most appropriate/suggested quorums?

Also, what's really the difference between "r" and "pr"? what is a "primary replica"?

If i set up bucket.w = 1, it will still do the 3 copies (n_val) in the background but will reply "true" once 1 copy is saved, right?

Thanks,
Alex