Framework to Migrate data from SQL Server and from DB2 to RIAK for Java application

Dmitri Zagidulin dzagidulin at basho.com
Mon Jun 30 09:51:25 EDT 2014

Sangeetha,

As Bryan mentioned, above, the first thing you want to double-check, when
migrating your blob type column to Riak, is the typical (and max) blob size.
If your objects are less than 1mb, then storing in Riak should be fine. If
the max object size runs larger than 1mb, you should store those blobs in
Riak CS http://docs.basho.com/riakcs/latest/ (it's built on top of Riak,
and serves exactly this use case).

As far as migrating a column or a table to Riak, we do not have any SQL
migration tool - you would have to write the migrating code yourself.

The main thing to keep in mind, when loading massive amounts of data into
Riak, is to take advantage of Riak's parallelism. Spin up multiple worker
threads to issue puts, and be sure to take advantage of the Java client's
connection pooling.
There is some good sample Java code for loading objects into Riak in the
Riak Data Migrator repo ( https://github.com/basho-labs/riak-data-migrator
),

Take a look at
https://github.com/basho-labs/riak-data-migrator/blob/master/src/main/java/com/basho/proserv/datamigrator/io/ThreadedRiakObjectWriter.java