Question on "link walking: Deprecation Notice"

Alexander Grytsenko alexander.grytsenko at dev-pro.net
Tue May 13 08:19:35 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused of this deprecation notice that is on the official
docs.basho page that is related to a link walking explanation. See here:
http://docs.basho.com/riak/2.0.0beta1/dev/using/link-walking/

Basically, It says that starting from v2.0 the Link Walking feature is
marked as deprecated and it is going to be removed.

As I understand link walking allows you to "fetch a related object" by an
url like:

curl -v http://127.0.0.1:8091/riak/people/timoreilly/people,friend,1

< {'name': 'dave'}  # another object with a key=dave who appears to be
a friend of tim

Clearly this functionality will be removed.

But does it mean the 'Links' (as key's metadata) will also be deprecated
and removed?
Or will I be able to store the Links into object's medatada in v2.0 or 3.0
or whatever..?
Or is it going to be possible to travel over links via map/reduce in the
future versions?

Should I think now about storing additional info somewhere inside my object
to keep simple relations in the future?
(and convert all my current links to object's inner data)

Or the deprecation warning above is related only to "Link Walking" (on the
server side with getting the object back), but not to the "Links" itself?

Thanks for keeping this thread,
alex