Bash bench key/value generation strategies

Christian Dahlqvist christian at basho.com
Mon May 19 10:03:28 EDT 2014

Hi Simon,

If you have a limited set of object types and your data model allow you to
estimate and express the raw size of your data using one of the default
value generators, using one of the standard drivers, e.g.
basho_bench_driver_riakc_pb, is the easiest way to get a benchmark up and
running. For many scenarios where data in Riak is reasonably uniform, this
can result in a quite accurate model and quickly allow you to evaluate
different configurations and see how the cluster responds to different load
and size distributions. As Riak treats all values as binary blobs, it is
most often not necessary to create realistic objects. The only exception I
am aware of is if Riak Search is used and benchmarked.

The fact that Basho Bench writes to a single bucket is also, as long as you
have similar bucket properties for all buckets, usually not a problem
either as a bucket is just a namespace in Riak.

If your data model however is more complex, e.g. contains many different
objects types in buckets with different backends and properties, or you
require more accurate benchmarks, I would recommend creating a custom
driver based on one of the existing ones.

Best regards,

Christian