Unrecognized message {error, timeout}

Henning Verbeek hankipanky at gmail.com
Thu May 22 09:31:21 EDT 2014

We have just started building up experience with Riak, therefore I
apologise if this question is stupid.

We are using three very small nodes for Riak development (2GB RAM,
1CPU). We are using a default Riak 1.4.8 on debian wheezy. The clients
are Java applications, using the 1.4.4 java library and connecting to
their local Riak instance via protocol buffers.

Every now and then, mostly when deleting elements, the requests hang
until they timeout and we see many of these log messages in
/var/log/riak/error.log:
2014-05-22 15:16:05.418 [error]
<0.10982.3>@riak_api_pb_server:handle_info:141 Unrecognized message
{1846665,{error,timeout}}

I believe that this may be triggered by testing the robustness
(stopping riak on one node while handling traffic, then starting it up
again), but why would it still occur, even long after all nodes are up
again.

Are we doing something wrong, or can I ignore this message?

Thanks for your advice,
Henning