Unrecognized message {error, timeout}

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Thu May 22 11:01:04 EDT 2014

Henning,

This happens when the process servicing a client connection receives a
"late message" from some previous request it made to the rest of the Riak
cluster, but perhaps was already in-flight when the server process decided
to move on. They are undesirable, but basically benign. I believe in Riak
2.0, that log message has been downgraded to a lower severity (if not, it
should be!) By chance was this a MapReduce request?

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 7:31 AM, Henning Verbeek <hankipanky at gmail.com>wrote:

> We have just started building up experience with Riak, therefore I
> apologise if this question is stupid.
>
> We are using three very small nodes for Riak development (2GB RAM,
> 1CPU). We are using a default Riak 1.4.8 on debian wheezy. The clients
> are Java applications, using the 1.4.4 java library and connecting to
> their local Riak instance via protocol buffers.
>
> Every now and then, mostly when deleting elements, the requests hang
> until they timeout and we see many of these log messages in
> /var/log/riak/error.log:
> 2014-05-22 15:16:05.418 [error]
> <0.10982.3>@riak_api_pb_server:handle_info:141 Unrecognized message
> {1846665,{error,timeout}}
>
> I believe that this may be triggered by testing the robustness
> (stopping riak on one node while handling traffic, then starting it up
> again), but why would it still occur, even long after all nodes are up
> again.
>
> Are we doing something wrong, or can I ignore this message?
>
> Thanks for your advice,
> Henning

Sean Cribbs <sean at basho.com>
Software Engineer