Disk space in riak

Simon Rodriguez simonisimo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 04:47:32 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I've read several threads about this question but I haven't found a clear
answer yet, so here it is :

I'm working on a POC to store images in riak. In my test I've uploaded ~50K
images so far. In NTFS they take ~1GB of disk space but riak goes up to
70GB!

If I use the standard disk space calculation, storage space in riak should
be 1GB x 3 (n_val) = 3GB so there is a 25 factor I can't understand.

My riak is a vanilla v2.0.0 on a Debian 3.2.51 with the default dev conf (1
cluster, 5 nodes on a single box, n_val=3) and bitcask storage.

Thanks,
Simon