Single node, nval = 1

Dmitri Zagidulin dzagidulin at basho.com
Thu Sep 11 07:42:19 EDT 2014

If you're running a single-node Riak instance to start with (such as a
prototype web app), but there's the possibility of expanding the cluster
and adding other nodes, you should run with n_val=3.  (It's not recommended
to change the ring size in mid-stream).

If you're only running a single node, and don't plan on adding other nodes
ever, then yes, set the n_val=1.
Tom is right, though, a single node Riak instance does remove any fault
tolerance and high availability advantages that Riak gives.
(Oh, the other value to change, if you -know- you're going to be running 1
node only, is go with a smaller ring size. I'd go with 8 or 16, depending
on how beefy your server is).