Single node, nval = 1

Tom Santero tsantero at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 09:32:43 EDT 2014

(bringing this back to the list)

So the largest challenge you face is when you attempt to optimize Riak for
a single-node installation what you end up doing is introducing new issues
down the line in the event that you need to scale out. For example, should
you reduce the n_val to 1 and drop the ring_size to something like 8 (in
order to keep the # of databases running on that single VM low) you're
going to face a few issues.

1) As John Daily already mentioned, changing the replication factor after
the fact will almost certainly lead to odd and unexpected behavior.

2) Ring resizing is Riak's dirty little secret, and pretty expensive.

Should you do these hacks in an attempt to reduce the cost of maintaining
two separate codebases, the most reasonable approach when you need to scale
would be to perform a data migration from the hacky-1-node-cluster to a
cluster optimized for a multi-node environment and availability. Note, that
its much easier for me to type "do a data migration" than to actually
perform one--so take recommendations with a grain of salt.

Regards,
Tom