bucket-types: renaming and deleting

Matthew Brender mbrender at basho.com
Fri Apr 3 14:38:43 EDT 2015

Hi Jonathan,

There is unfortunately no way to delete a bucket. More on that later.

If you are in a prototyping phase and are willing to stop Riak, you
would stop services and delete the data stored in whatever backend
you're using (/var/lib/riak/bitcask for example). Alternatively, there
is this python code floating around:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14531708/how-can-i-delete-a-riak-bucket-in-python

More on buckets -

I appreciate how it was summarize on this StackOverflow question [1]:

A bucket doesn't really exist. It is only a namespace that contains
behaviors and settings to use when reading or storing keys. You can
reset the bucket to default settings, but this does not remote it from
listings. In order to remove the data, you would need to delete each
key.

More on buckets can be found here [2]. You could also consider
stopping Riak and restarting as mentioned here [3].

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29235257/how-do-you-delete-an-entire-bucket-in-riak-2-0-using-curl
[2] http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/dev/advanced/bucket-types/
[3] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27567451/how-to-deactivate-or-delete-a-bucket-type-in-riak
ᐧ