scaling up vertically upgrading HD

Jon Meredith jmeredith at basho.com
Thu Apr 23 10:40:38 EDT 2015

Hi Alex,

Riak allocates data to nodes evenly - it doesn't take into account free
space.  You should just be able to upgrade all nodes to 1Tb and Riak will
use the space, without needing to take any additional actions.

Jon

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 7:17 AM, Alex De la rosa <alex.rosa.box at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have the following question about scaling up vertically upgrading HDs to
> get more space. I have the understanding that if HDs are of different sizes
> on ring creation, they get the smallest size of them all and make all nodes
> even, for example:
>
> Node 1: 500GB
> Node 2: 500GB
> Node 3: 750GB
> Node 4: 500GB
> Node 5: 750GB
>
> In this case riak would make a parity of 500GB per node... so... how could
> we scale up the HDs? Imagine I want to turn them into the following:
>
> Node 1: 1TB
> Node 2: 1TB
> Node 3: 1TB
> Node 4: 1TB
> Node 5: 1TB
>
> How can you rebalance the cluster in the way their partitions grow to fit
> this new setup? (using Riak 2.1)
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Jon Meredith