Strong consistent buckets ready after starting a cluster.

Zsolt Laky zsolt.laky at lamardan.com
Mon Feb 2 06:35:28 EST 2015

Hi All!

I am using a dev cluster with three nodes on a Mac OS. After a boot, I start
the nodes and they are ok immediately for the default buckets, but for the
strong consistent type it took 10 minutes to get ready and perform as
expected.

Here is a small example where a get returns with different values and at the
end it is ok and I can be sure the RIAK cluster is up and running for strong
consistent buckets. At the very beginning of startup I got
{error,<<"insufficient_vnodes_available">>} replies but it is ok.

My request for help is to find a way when I know the cluster is ready. I
understand, RIAK needs time to sync all the nodes after startup, on the
other hand I need to know when it gets ready for production and will give
consistent answers. Is there a command in erlang to check it? I also attach
part of the full log when I listed the keys and values in the buckets to see
when would I get the correct result. It took about 10 minutes to get there.

Thanks in advance for thoughts and suggestions, your help is highly
appreciated.
Kind regards,
Zsolt

==============================
Type:"strong"
------------------------
Bucket:<<"Actors_msuser">>
Key:"{msuser_actor,\"z2\",lamardan}" Value:Error:{error,<<"timeout">>}
------------------------
Bucket:<<"Actors_mssession">>
Key:"{mssession_actor,\"z2\",zschat,0}" Value:Error:{error,<<"timeout">>}
ok
==============================
Type:"strong"
------------------------
Bucket:<<"Actors_msuser">>
Key:"{msuser_actor,\"z2\",lamardan}" Value:Error:{error,<<"failed">>}
------------------------
Bucket:<<"Actors_mssession">>
Key:"{mssession_actor,\"z2\",zschat,0}" Value:Error:{error,<<"timeout">>}
==============================
Type:"strong"
------------------------
Bucket:<<"Actors_msuser">>
Key:"{msuser_actor,\"z2\",lamardan}" Value:Error:{error,<<"failed">>}
------------------------
Bucket:<<"Actors_mssession">>
Key:"{mssession_actor,\"z2\",zschat,0}" Value:Error:{error,<<"failed">>}
Type:"strong"
Bucket:<<"Actors_msuser">>
Key:"{msuser_actor,\"z2\",lamardan}" Value:Error:{error,notfound}
Bucket:<<"Actors_mssession">>
Key:"{mssession_actor,\"z2\",zschat,0}" Value:Error:{error,notfound}

---