Adding nodes to cluster

Christopher Meiklejohn cmeiklejohn at basho.com
Mon Feb 9 09:54:53 EST 2015

> On Feb 6, 2015, at 1:53 AM, Edgar Veiga <edgarmveiga at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It is expected that the total amount of data per node lowers quite a lot, correct? I'm doubling the size of the cluster (6 more nodes).
>
> I ask this because the actual 6 machines have 1.5Tb in disks, but the new ones ( for now) have only 1Tb.

That’s correct; you should reduce per-node allocation by adding additional nodes.

However, to minimize the amount of data that needs to be relocated, you should add all nodes together rather than one at a time.  This prevents the situation where some percentage of the data gets moved between nodes multiple times.

- Chris

Christopher Meiklejohn
Senior Software Engineer
Basho Technologies, Inc.