Data modelling questions

AM ams.fwd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 13:24:10 EST 2015

On 2/22/15 6:16 PM, Jason Campbell wrote:
> Coming at this from another angle, if you already have a permanent data store, and you are only reporting on each hour at a time, can you run the reports based on the log itself?
> A lot of Riak’s advantage comes from the stability and availability of data storage, but S3 is already doing that for you.  Riak can store the data, but I’m not sure what benefit it serves from my understanding of your problem.
>
> Aggregates are usually quite small (even with more advanced things like histograms), so it’s relatively easy to parse a log line-by-line and produce aggregates in-memory for a report.
>
> Can you give a bit more detail on why are you using Riak?

For the most part yes, we are using EMR at the moment, but some of the
reasons I want to go down that road are:

- We are not quite 'bit data' (using that definition that I can process
60 mins of my data on an 8 core 16G machine in under 40 mins) and EMR is
actually 'slower' for us, than just running it locally on a large
machine. That brings its own stability and maintenance issues for us. It
would be much nicer if the data was stored relliably and in a format
that was query-able quickly instead of having to reprocess things.

- The data is compressed and we actually waste quite a bit of time
decompressing it for EMR which is yet another issue if we have to
re-process due to single machine durability issues.

- We want to  be able to drive graphs and alerts off of the data whose
granularity is most likely going to be of the order of 10 mins . These
are just counters on a single time dimension so I am assuming that if I
get the model right I will this will be easy. Yes we can do this via EMR
but it also requires additional moving parts that we would have to manage.

- We have certain BI use cases (as yet not clearly defined) that riak MR
would be quite useful and faster for us.

All in all Riak appears to offer the sweet spot of reliability, data
management and querying tools such that all we would have to be
concerned about is the the actual cluster itself.

Thanks.
AM