cannot connect to DB

Charlie Voiselle cvoiselle at basho.com
Mon Jan 12 09:24:58 EST 2015

Since you changed the node name on a running node, you will not be able to stop it.  Two choices here. Reset the nodename in `/etc/riak/vm.args` back to `riak at 127.0.0.1 <mailto:riak at 127.0.0.1>` long enough to run the `riak stop` command, or just `kill -9 beam.smp` which will forcibly shutdown the riak process.

Once you have the node stopped, you will need to delete the contents of the `/var/lib/riak/ring` folder otherwise the node will not start up.  This only needs to be done once if the node has been renamed.  Once your cluster has been created properly, you will not want to delete the ring file without specific guidance to do so.  Verify that the node name is back to `riak at 192.168.1.55 <mailto:riak at 192.168.1.55>` in `/etc/riak/vm.args` and that all of the IPs in `/etc/riak/app.config` are set appropriately before restarting Riak

Once you have verified this, you should be able to start Riak and connect to it from other nodes.  As Siculars, pointed out, there is fairly comprehensive documentation of the config files, their locations, and all of the settings at the Riak Documentation website. Make sure you use the version selector to view the documentation for the version that you have installed

Cheers,
Charlie Voiselle
Basho Client Services