RiakCS poor s3 upload speeds 2MB/s

Kota Uenishi kota at basho.com
Tue Jan 20 19:07:56 EST 2015

Toby and David,

Thank you for working on Riak CS and I apologize for being late responder.

I believe the reason of being slow down is different between Toby's
and David's cluster.

Toby's reason looks like that's just because of the data increasing.
How much data per vnode do you have in your cluster, Toby? Do you have
deletion in your workload?
Riak CS's garbage collection, deleting block keys in Riak and merging
Bitcask files make some load more than the exact amount of data
visible via CS (even taking the replication factor into account).
Also, if you turn on AAE, building AAE trees scans all the data stored
in Riak to fix unexpected bit rot or partial replication. I'd like you
to check the background load to underlying storage. If the performance
decrease is *not* due to such background load, maybe there's the same
dragon lurking under the water as David's cluster.

One thing I can suggest from David's app.config, SSL is turned on -
Riak CS uses Erlang's built-in SSL library for https scheme which is
said to have not so good performance. I wonder those benchmarks were
done over https or just http.

As far as I test Riak CS, local or cluster-wide, I haven't met such
bad performance less than 10MB/s in such a fresh state cluster. There
should be something wrong, either the setup or the software. Would you
mind sending us the result riak-debug and riak-cs-debug commands, if
you still can reproduce such situation. Those packs up the environment
info as much as it can.

Thanks,
Kota

Kota UENISHI / @kuenishi