using g-counter for sequence number synchronization

Hristo Asenov hristo.s.asenov at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 11:32:43 EST 2015

Hello everyone,

I have noticed that in latest documentation on Riak data types (http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/theory/concepts/crdts/#Counters <http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/theory/concepts/crdts/#Counters>), for Counters it is not recommended to use them for ordered IDs (UUIDs). Can I implement g-counters (as described in the CRDT paper) using Riak’s Set datatype? I am wondering whether that will work out well for my use case.

What I would like to do is to have synchronization of sequence numbers between multiple src processes that send their inputs to a single centralized process. I want all the sequence numbers to be unique so that the centralized process can create an ordering of the input messages based on the sequence numbers. Thus I would have an integer entry for each src process in the set, and the sum of all the integers would be my unique id. After the src process writes a value to the DHT for its corresponding entry, would it then have to read the value from the DHT in order to make sure it got committed without conflicts?

- Hristo