Riak Recap - Jan 23 2015

Matthew Brender mbrender at basho.com
Fri Jan 23 12:39:06 EST 2015

Good morning, afternoon and evening everyone.

I'm Matt Brender, new to Basho and focused on efforts out here in the open
source portion of the Riak world. Tyler Hannan recommended that the very
first task I take on is bringing back the Recap and Mark confirmed it was
valuable to others. I hope you enjoy it.

*State of the Union*

Since we haven't had one of these in a while, here is an update on the
latest software we have available.

   - Riak is at 2.0.4 <http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/> with 1.4.12
   <http://docs.basho.com/riak/1.4.12/> available as well
   - Riak CS is at 1.5.3 <http://docs.basho.com/riakcs/latest/>

*Announcements*

   - I (Matt) have joined on as a Developer Advocate. If you're wondering
   who I am, you can check out this blog post
   <http://neckbeardinfluence.com/pursuing-my-inner-neckbeard-headed-to-basho/>
   or ping me on Twitter <https://twitter.com/mjbrender>
   - The Riak Recap is back up and running. We're starting with the goal of
   every other week and will adjust based on feedback
   - There's an open TODO of tracking unanswered questions coming across
   IRC & email. More to come on that
   - Feedback is not just welcome, but is necessary. More ways of working
   on prioritization are in the plans. Send emails, tweets or otherwise to me
   in the meantime

*Event news*

   - We're co-hosting the New Stack Meetup
   <http://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-new-stack-warmup-seattle-tickets-15244098509>
   on March 3rd in Seattle
   - We have multiple Basho engineers speaking at Erlang Factory
   <file:///Users/basho/Downloads/www.erlang-factory.com/sfbay2015/home#speakers>
   on 26-27 March
   - We'll announce Meetup events in San Francisco and New York City in the
   next few weeks. Join any of these groups <http://riak.meetup.com/> to
   keep up with the news

*Dev news*

   - I noticed some cool projects popping up for node.js developers,
   including riak-mock-server available here
   <https://www.npmjs.com/package/riak-mock-server> along with some very
   cool riak tools for node developers <https://www.npmjs.com/search?q=riak>

*Study material*

   - It's worth revisiting the RICON 2014 videos
   <http://ricon.io/archive/2014/index.html> as we kick off the new year
   - Our own Christopher Meiklejohn <https://speakerdeck.com/cmeiklejohn>
   posted some incredible slides including an introduction to Riak
   <https://speakerdeck.com/cmeiklejohn/introduction-to-riak> and an
   introduction to webmachine
   <https://speakerdeck.com/cmeiklejohn/functional-web-apps-with-webmachine-1>

That's it for this round. Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
*Matt Brender | Developer Advocacy Lead*
Basho Technologies
t: @mjbrender <https://twitter.com/mjbrender>