using g-counter for sequence number synchronization

Christopher Meiklejohn cmeiklejohn at basho.com
Mon Jan 26 11:37:17 EST 2015

> On Jan 26, 2015, at 5:06 PM, Hristo Asenov <hristo.s.asenov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Mark and Chris, I see now that I need to use a strongly consistent framework of some kind for this operation.

Hi Hristo,

Depending on your application, there are alternative ways of generating unique identifiers based on machine name and time — see the following:

https://github.com/twitter/snowflake <https://github.com/twitter/snowflake>
http://www.boundary.com/blog/2012/01/flake-a-decentralized-k-ordered-unique-id-generator-in-erlang/ <http://www.boundary.com/blog/2012/01/flake-a-decentralized-k-ordered-unique-id-generator-in-erlang/>

However, these mechanisms while unique, are not comparable, so you’ll need an arbitration mechanism if you wish to generate a total order over these identifiers.

- Chris

Christopher Meiklejohn
Senior Software Engineer
Basho Technologies, Inc.