Loopback Address as Handoff IP/Interface

Magnus Kessler mkessler at basho.com
Mon May 4 03:03:18 EDT 2015

On 3 May 2015 at 12:19, Praveen Baratam <praveen.baratam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> I am trying to setup a single node Riak cluster and want to use a loopback
> address (127.0.0.x) for the Handoff IP to keep the instance private and
> invisible to others.
>
> But the Riak node fails to start and throws an error -  "handoff.ip
> invalid, must be a valid IP address"
>
> Is it illegal to use loopback interface for Handoff IP? Came across some JIRA
> issues <https://github.com/basho/riak_core/issues/670> but couldn't find
> a solution with out having to build packages from source.
>
> Any workarounds? I am trying to use Riak 1.4.12 on Ubuntu 14.04!
>
> Any advice in this regard will be greatly helpful.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Praveen

Hi Praveen,

As you are using Riak 1.4, you cannot use the new configuration format (via
the riak.conf file, a.k.a cuttlefish, introduced in Riak 2.0). The
handoff_ip setting belongs to riak_core and has to be changed in
app.config[0].

If you really want to set the handoff_ip and change it from its default
setting of "0.0.0.0", then you need to add an entry into the riak_core
settings in app.config

{riak_core, [
    %% Other configs
    {handoff_ip, "127.0.0.1"},
    %% Other configs
]}

However I would suggest to simply firewall the handoff port on your machine
(8099) so that it cannot be reached from the network.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Magnus

[0]: