Riak response time steadily increasing

Ricardo Mayerhofer ricardo.ekm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 14:24:38 EST 2015

Hi all,
I'm doing some performance tests with Riak, I'm facing an issue where Riak
response time increases from 3 ms average to 500 ms or even higher after
some load.

There's no disk contention, memory was fine. CPU was high even tough stable.

I'm using multi backend being Bitcask the default one and the one used in
this test. I've a separate disk for bitcask.

SO was tuned (except by net.core.wmem_max, net.core.rmem_max,
net.core.netdev_max_backlog which were not set at the time of the test)

Merge was off (window set to another time), expiry grace time is set to 1
hour.

I'm using a five node cluster with m3.xlarge EC2 instance type.

You can find attached the tests results and some related data.

Any input, a way to increase the results or a way do drill down the cause
is appreciated!

Thanks!

--
Ricardo Mayerhofer