Riak Character Encoding

John Daily jdaily at basho.com
Sun Nov 29 23:10:13 EST 2015

Daniel is exactly correct: for data, Riak is happy to store exactly what is
supplied. This extends to bucket and bucket type names as well.

There are places where non-ASCII characters can be problematic: for
example, to the best of my recollection it is not recommended to try to run
JavaScript MapReduce against Unicode data.

It's also easy to make mistakes at the client layer: for example, when
using the Erlang client, the language requires that UTF-8 data be flagged
as such, and it can be quite confusing when data stored in the <<"відро">>
bucket cannot be retrieved from the <<"відро"/utf8>> bucket.

-John Daily
jdaily at basho.com