Java Riak client can't handle a Riak node failure?

Vanessa Williams vanessa.williams at thoughtwire.ca
Wed Oct 7 07:57:01 EDT 2015

Hi all, we are still (for a while longer) using Riak 1.4 and the matching
Java client. The client(s) connect to one node in the cluster (since that's
all it can do in this client version). The cluster itself has 4 nodes
(sorry, we can't use 5 in this scenario). There are 2 separate clients.

We've tried both n_val = 3 and n_val=4. We achieve consistency-by-writes by
setting w=all. Therefore, we only require one successful read (r=1).

When all nodes are up, everything is fine. If one node fails, the clients
can no longer read any keys at all. There's an exception like this:

com.basho.riak.client.RiakRetryFailedException: java.net.ConnectException:
Connection refused

Now, it isn't possible that Riak can't operate when one node fails, so
we're clearly missing something here.

Note: we did try putting all 4 Riak nodes behind a load-balancer and
pointing the clients at it, but it didn't help.

Riak is a high-availability key-value store, so... why are we failing to
achieve high-availability? Any suggestions greatly appreciated, and if more
info is required I'll do my best to provide it.

Thanks in advance,
Vanessa

--
Vanessa Williams