Riak search, post schema change reindexation

Guillaume Boddaert guillaume at lighthouse-analytics.co
Mon Aug 29 11:27:47 EDT 2016

Hi Fred, thanks for your answer.

I'm using Riak 2.1 see attached status export.
I'm working on a single cluster, and need to update from time to time
the some search index on all nodes.
As a cloud user, I can consider buying a spare host for a few days in
order to achieve a complete rollout.

I can understand your plan to remove an host from production while it
reconstruct its index. From my point of view your solution can only be
applied on a broken Solr index, that needs to be rebuild from scratch on
a single host.
In my case, I need to reindex my documents because I was updated my solr
schema, which requires to wipe existing index beforehand (create new
index, change bucket index_name prop, drop old index), on all hosts
since that's a bucket type property that I need to update.

Fred, is your plan can be really applied on a « I want to update my
search schema on my full cluster » ?

At the moment, I already created the new index, destroyed the old one,
and I am unable to use a slow python script to force all items to be
written again (and subsequently pushed to solr) since I get regular
timeout on key stream API (both protobuff and http).
Is there a way to run a program inside riak nodes (not http, not
protobuf) to achieve this simple algorithm:

for key in bucket.stream_keys():
   obj = bucket.get(key)
   bucket.store(obj)

I really fear that will not be able to restore my index any time soon. I
am not stressed out because we are not in production yet, I have still
plenty of time to fix that as new data is available. But this kind of
complex operations required by index update really freak me out.

Guillaume