Riak 2.1.3 with levelDB and EC2 instances

Robert Latko robert at lmi-global.com
Tue Feb 9 14:42:46 EST 2016

Hi all,

I have used M3.2xlarge instances in the past because of the
compute(8CPU)/memory(30GB RAM)combo. I also played around with
C3.8xlarge's using similar to test against the same dataset for
performance and was able to double the performance.

I am to create a new cluster with 1.5 mil records occupying ~ 15GB.

I was looking at general community feedback to see what successes people
have had with EC2 instance types and their Riak/levelDB.

What is a good instance for this? High Memory? High Compute? or Both?

I am thinking of using 5 x M4.2xlarge 8CPU/32GB RAM for this with
Provisioned IOPS but I am thinking of stepping down to 5 x M4.xlarge
instead (4CPU/16GB) which would be ~$1000/month less for cost. I'll
build it today, init the data, and start load testing. As with Riak, I
could always add the appropriate EC2 type nodes later and subtract the
inadequate ones.

Thanks in advance,

Robert