Riak versioning and handoff bug in 2.1.0

Magnus Kessler mkessler at basho.com
Wed Jan 13 08:18:45 EST 2016

On 13 January 2016 at 08:28, Vladyslav Zakhozhai <
v.zakhozhai at smartweb.com.ua> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> According to the following link there is a bug in 2.1.0 which may cause
> data loss:
> https://docs.basho.com/riak/2.0.5/community/product-advisories/210-dataloss/
>
> I've installed 2.1.1 riak deb package from basho's repository on
> packagecloud. But from riak stats I see that there is riak_core_version
> 2.1.1 in that package but riak_kv - 2.1.0. I think that this version of
> package is affected by this bug. Am I right?

Hi Vladyslav,

The Riak-KV 2.1.0 release had a misconfigured default handoff_ip setting
which caused nodes to hand off partition data to themselves, leading to
potential data loss. This was fixed with an update to the riak_core module.
As the riak_kv module was not affected, its version number remained the
same for the bug-fix release 2.1.1 of Riak-KV.

> Is there available compatability list of riak, riak cs and stanchion for
> recent versions?
> http://docs.basho.com/riakcs/latest/cookbooks/Version-Compatibility/ is
> outdated. Can I use basho's package 2.1.3 (riak_core_version: 2.1.5,
> riak_kv_version: 2.1.2) with riak cs and stanchion 2.1.0 basho's package?
>
> Thank you in advance.

While largely accurate for historical releases, this page has not yet been
updated to take the compatibility statement from
https://github.com/basho/riak_cs/blob/2.1/RELEASE-NOTES.md into account:
"Riak S2 2.1 is designed to work with both Riak KV 2.0.5+ and 2.1.1+."

You can also use the currently released Riak-KV versions 2.1.3 and 2.0.6
with Riak-S2 2.1.1.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Magnus

--
Magnus Kessler
Client Services Engineer

Registered Office - 8 Lincoln’s Inn Fields London WC2A 3BP Reg 07970431