vm.swappiness

Sakoulas, Byron ByronSakoulas at catholichealth.net
Fri Jan 29 13:26:39 EST 2016

Is it possible that Basho’s recommendation on vm.swappiness is out of date?

The current recommendation (per http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/ops/tuning/linux/) is still to set vm.swappiness to 0.

Based on https://www.percona.com/blog/2014/04/28/oom-relation-vm-swappiness0-new-kernel/ it appears that in kernel 3.5 and up, the behavior of vm.swappiness=0 was changed.

Due to that, should we modify our vm.swappiness to 1?

Thanks

This email and attachments contain information that may be confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender at once and delete this message completely from your information system. Further use, disclosure, or copying of information contained in this email is not authorized, and any such action should not be construed as a waiver of privilege or other confidentiality protections.