Riak Recap, June 17th, 2016

Alexander Sicular siculars at basho.com
Fri Jun 17 19:43:06 EDT 2016

Salutations,

Many items to review this weekend. A number of client library updates, a
blog post and some github repos along with the mailing list review, as per
usual.

As always, we want to hear from you. Let me know if you’re working on or
speaking about something Riak related and would like a shoutout. I’ll get
your talk, project or blog post in the next Riak Recap.

## Announcements

   -

   Ruby Client 2.4.0 - gzip support, connection timeouts and time
   conversions [0].
   -

   Golang 1.7.0 - initial Riak TS support [1].
   -

   Python 2.5.3 - bug fix release [2].
   -

   Node 2.2.0 - compatibility with Riak TS 1.3, backoff on retries,
   timeouts among other updates [3].

## Community Code and Walkthroughs

   -

   Craig Vitter has started a JDBC client for Riak TS. Take it out for a
   spin, contributions welcome [4].
   -

   Stephen Etheridge recently spoke at the PyData London meetup and here’s
   a link to the repo he reviewed there [5].
   -

   My blog post on data modeling in Riak TS was recently published on
   Basho’s blog [6].

##Community Events

   -

   Basho will be at O’Reilly’s Velocity conference in Santa Clara next week
   [7]. Stop by and say hello.

## Jobs at Basho

Interested in working on distributed computing related problems or helping
our community with theirs? We’re hiring.

   -

   Client Services Engineer (USA) [8].
   -

   Developer Advocate (London and US) [9].

Yes, you can work from home!

## Recently Answered

   -

   Russell Brown answers a StackOverflow question on context for Riak KV’s
   Flag datatype [10].
   -

   Norman is looking to use Riak as a session store backing his NodeJS app.
   Luke and Alex let him know that Riak is well suited as a session store
   backing but we do not have all the framework/language combinations readily
   available. The proposal is to use the memcached session store lib as a stub
   and swap out the memcached client lib with Riaks NodeJS client lib [11].
   -

   A number of folks work with Jan to troubleshoot how best to restart a
   Riak cluster in Kubernetes [12]. Riak likes statefulness between reboots.
   Some managers will bring a node back with a new name, that needs to be
   addressed. Take a look at our Mesos integration if you’re working in that
   environment [13].
   -

   Guillaume is looking to mass update all json objects in his cluster and
   update the structure [14]. Consider Riak KV is non-relational by nature and
   all values are opaque to it. Riak KV also has no SQL like language to do a
   select/update cycle.
   -

   Magnus helps Satish get Riak Control working on Riak KV 1.4.12 [15]. I
   would recommend updating to the latest version at your earliest convenience
   ;)
   -

   Luke reminds Abhinav to follow the tuning guidelines when working
   through performance related issues [16]. Ryan also points out that the
   minimum production deployment recommendation is five nodes [17]. When
   writing three replicas to a cluster with less than five nodes you are
   guaranteed to have more that one copy written to the same physical machine
   in for some set of data.
   -

   Henrik is looking for official work on Solaris/OmniOS/illumos support
   [18]. It’s true, we will no longer be supporting those environments. Take a
   look at Ubuntu’s support for ZFS if you are looking to use that filesystem
   in your environment.
   -

   In a similar request to Guillaume’s, Ricardo is also looking to mass
   update his json documents [19]. Luke links to some advanced map/reduce that
   may help get the job done [20].
   -

   Gianluca presents a data retrieval data modeling question [21] and is
   looking for recommendations on how best to proceed.

## Open Discussions

   -

   Russell and Luke continue to work with Vladyslav on sibling explosion in
   Riak CS [22].
   -

   Johnny is looking for some help on his bitcask merge issue [23].
   -

   Vladyslav is looking for clarification on the meaning of “riak-admin
   node down” [24], particularly in the face of node failure during a cluster
   resizing operation.
   -

   Kyle is looking for information on Riak TS drop table functionality and
   HTTP auth support [25].
   -

   Guillaume kicks off a conversation on custom Solr configs [26] and Luke
   points to an open issue on github reviewing some considerations [27].
   -

   Anil is looking for ways to copy Solr indecies from one machine to
   another [28].
   -

   Murali is looking for information around Riak S2 (formerly CS)
   performance on a single node [29].
   -

   Vladimir asks the list for help with the following warning “perflists do
   not satisfy the n_val” [30].
   -

   Alex is looking for advice regarding whether or not Riak TS would be
   better suited in certain use cases over Riak KV for his social network
   project [31].
   -

   Michael is looking for some guidance on properly sizing a Riak S2
   cluster [32].
   -

   Psterk is looking for help on using hadoops’s distcpy to copy files from
   Riak S2 to hadoop [33][34].

Peace and love,

-Alexander Sicular

Solution Architect, Basho