Riak Search and custom Solr components

Guillaume Boddaert guillaume at lighthouse-analytics.co
Fri May 27 13:14:44 EDT 2016

Hi there,

I'm currently testing custom Component in my Riak Search system. As I
need a suggestion mechanism from the Solr index, I implemented the
Suggester component (https://wiki.apache.org/solr/Suggester).
It seems to work correctly, yet I have some question regarding the usage
of custom Solr configuration inside of Riak. The only caveat is that
Riak commits too often and that the suggestion index must be build
manually and not on commit. That's fine for me, i'll cron that once per day.

First of all, how do stop/start/reload the solr instance without
disturbing the Riak core ? For the time being I'm stuck with service
start/stop. How can I reload my solr cores configuration without
stopping riak ?

Secondly, is that a good pattern to start tweaking defaults from my solr
cores (solrconfig.xml) ? Should I stop that right now and consider to
use a distinct Solr instance if I require those modifications ? Or
should I consider safe to alter cache/performance settings as well for
Solr to match my needs ? Can I play with other solr files such as
stopwords and stuff like that ?

Finally, is there a proper way to alter default solrconfig.xml ? It is
auto-generated at index creation by Riak, yet that's a BIG and complex
file that may evolve between Riak releases. I'm creating indexes
programatically sending my index through Riak interface (
RiakClient.create_search_index in Riak Python lib), but if I start to
alter configuration I guess I need more than that.
How do you guys would handle this ?

Thanks,

Guillaume