Secondary indexes or Riak search ?

Russell Brown russell.brown at icloud.com
Mon Feb 6 03:53:31 EST 2017

It’s worth noting that secondary indexes (2i) has some other advantages over solr search. If you _can_ model your queries in 2i then I'd recommend it.

Secondary indexes  have a richer API than is currently documented, if you look at https://docs.basho.com/riak/1.4.7/dev/using/2i/ you’ll see that documents a feature that allows the index terms to be filtered via reg ex. There is also the feature that can return the actual riak objects for a $keys index search,
You can pack the index terms with data and return the terms in a query so that you don’t need a further object fetch (see return_terms in docs.)
Secondary indexes are written atomically with the object they index.
Operationally they don’t require you run a JVM and Solr alongside your riak nodes.

You have the tools with basho_bench to answer the question about performance and overhead for your workload. I suspect for “overhead” 2i wins, as there is no JVM-per-node.

Modelling for 2i is perhaps harder, in the classical nosql way, you have to do more work upfront when designing your querying.

I hope that helps a little. I worked quite a lot on 2i and never really understood why riak-search was seen as a replacment, imo they’re complementary, and you pick the one that best fits.

Cheers

Russell