cluster clear without stopping node

Magnus Kessler mkessler at basho.com
Thu Feb 9 12:41:17 EST 2017

On 9 February 2017 at 14:46, Daniel Miller <dmiller at dimagi.com> wrote:

> Hi Magnus,
>
> Thanks, this is great news! I was worried that clearing a planned node
> removal would stop the node from which I was issuing the clear command,
> which would be bad. Sounds like I have nothing to worry about in that case.

The behaviour of `riak-admin cluster plan` is quite complex, depending on
the staged changes. If a `leave` operation has been staged, it will just
undo the staged change; no node will be stopped. However, if a `join`
operation has been staged, the joining node will be shut down after its
ring has been cleared. When this node restarts, it will behave like a fresh
unjoined node and can be joined again. If `riak-admin cluster clear` was
run from a node that remains in the cluster, this node will be unaffected.

> On running cluster plan multiple times to generate a new plan: this is a
> little surprising since I think I’ve done that before but I haven’t
> observed it generating a new plan. I’ll try it again.

You may see the effect more pronounced if you use `claim_v3`, which is more
aggressive. For a discussion about how to rebalance the ring without adding
or removing nodes, please see
http://lists.basho.com/pipermail/riak-users_lists.basho.com/2016-November/018815.html

> Thanks for very quick response.
> Daniel

Kind Regards,

Magnus

--
Magnus Kessler
Client Services Engineer

Registered Office - 8 Lincoln’s Inn Fields London WC2A 3BP Reg 07970431