Confusion about node_puts and vnode_puts.

Magnus Kessler mkessler at basho.com
Wed Feb 15 06:22:09 EST 2017

On 15 February 2017 at 10:09, xiao新 <luna.feng at foxmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am confused about the relation between the statistics "node_puts" and
> "vnode_puts", yes, I have read the user guide.
> For instance, this is the output from "riak-admin status | grep
> node_puts", I don't understand why vnode_puts is much bigger(40 times) than
> node_puts, my cluster has 3 nodes.
>
>         Line 178: node_puts : 568
> Line 179: node_puts_counter : 0
> Line 180: node_puts_counter_total : 0
> Line 181: node_puts_map : 0
> Line 182: node_puts_map_total : 0
> Line 183: node_puts_set : 0
> Line 184: node_puts_set_total : 0
> Line 185: node_puts_total : 55476
> Line 347: vnode_puts : 23888
> Line 348: vnode_puts_total : 10305729
> vnode_puts Number of PUT operations coordinated by local vnodes on this
> node in the last minute
>
> node_puts Number of PUTs coordinated by this node, where a PUT is sent to
> a local vnode in the last minute
> Best Regards
> Luna

Hi Luna,

VNode puts and gets are registered each time a VNode performs an operation.
Any time a Node coordinates a client operation, there will be `n_val` VNode
operations. However, not all VNode operations occur as a result of
client-side operations. In particular AAE tree rebuilds, AAE repairs and
realtime or fullsync MDC replication are counted at the VNode level, but
don't register at the node level.

Kind Regards,

Magnus

--
Magnus Kessler
Client Services Engineer

Registered Office - 8 Lincoln’s Inn Fields London WC2A 3BP Reg 07970431