Workshop Summary

Russell Brown russell.brown at icloud.com
Wed Oct 25 04:55:23 EDT 2017

Hi,

TL:DR - https://github.com/nhs-riak/riak/tree/rdb/nhs-riak-2.2.5 is the fork/branch that I’ve been making progress on.

From my understanding of what we discussed, or at least my view: in order that we generate momentum and show signs of life, the best thing to do is release a new Riak, but a low risk Riak. Based on that, we (NHS) thought take the last known good release (riak-2.2.3) and branch of that. Use it as a basis for some low risk features/fixes and release it soon. The aim was this year, or at latest January 2018. That release would contain some NHS features, a fix for claim, G-Sets, and maybe some AAE fullsync repl fixes. I have been working on the NHS fork for this for a while. My initial aim has been so that a developer can clone Riak, and run `make test`, and it will pass. Next is to make riak-test pass. Set up CI. Then add in the new features already fixed, and finally build and release. Then there should be a reasonably low-risk, community Riak-2.2.5 for us to deploy. After, we build on that for the more risky work (OTP20, etc etc.)

The fork I’ve been working off is https://github.com/nhs-riak/riak. The branch that one should be able to build is nhs-riak-2.2.5 (https://github.com/nhs-riak/riak/tree/rdb/nhs-riak-2.2.5). Cloning https://github.com/nhs-riak/riak.git and then `git checkout nhs-riak-2.2.5` and then `make test` should work. Though I have one or two test failures still on linux (not on OS X afaict.)

Each of the deps that I had to change in order to get the build working is also forked in the https://github.com/nhs-riak/ organisation. Each dependancy's branch is named after the last released tag + “nhs-2.2.5”. For example, https://github.com/nhs-riak/riak_kv has branch 2.1.7-nhs-2.2.5 (since 2.1.7 was the last released tag.) When it all works the plan was to push each new branch to the canonical basho organisation and name it develop-2.2.5 (or something) and from there we can work towards the next release (and the one after, maybe a develop-3.0 branch based off 2.2.5.) We also sidestep the issue of reviewing and fixing up all of the basho unreleased dev code, which we can cherry-pick as we need.

I don’t know if this is the best idea, but it seems like a pragmatic approach to building momentum and getting something of value released, as well as setting us up for longer term improvements.

It is sort of what we agreed at the meet-up, but I’d love to hear views from the wider community.

Cheers

Russell