Riak CS Backup Solutions

Bryan Hunt bryan.hunt at erlang-solutions.com
Wed Apr 25 09:49:46 EDT 2018

Anthony,

Your snapshot solution is not bad if you just want a daily version you can roll back to for disaster recovery.

I presume :

1. You’re running on VM’s
2. You stop the world at the time of the snapshot

Riak CS makes multiple (3 by default) copies of your data and generally speaking, stores them onto multiple physical servers with the following caveats :

1. Verify that the partitions are evenly spread across the machines, sometimes old Riak puts two copies of the data on a single physical machine.
2. Always run a cluster of 5 or more machines.
3. Take care that you’re not storing all your data on the same physical device (SAN server in the basement anyone?) ).

I suppose the reason you want backups is to mitigate the situation where an adversary gets inside your servers and begins silently deleting or tampering with data, in which case, snapshots are prudent.

If you wanted to do something more sophisticated, you could try :

1. Re-building your cluster using the soon to be released Riak 2.2.5.
2. Replicate off site to a physically remote location
3. More regularly perform snapshots there (as they won’t impact latencies on your main Riak CS cluster)

Does that make sense? Any questions?

Bryan